The population in Hillsborough County has continued to rise each year, and with that growth, comes more drivers on the roads and unfortunately, more collisions.
In 2022, Hillsborough County saw 28,290 total crashes (including bicycle, motorcycle, pedestrian, and hit and run collisions), according to the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV). Total fatalities for 2022 reached 223 and 19,250 injuries from crashes.
So far in 2023, preliminary data shows 554 crashes, with 3 fatalities and another 386 injuries.
Using data from the Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office, All for Transportation compiled a list of the most dangerous intersections in the Tampa Bay area. Three of these intersections on the list have seen more than 900 collisions within the past two years.
Here is the full list:
- S. 301 at Gibsonton Dr. – 367 accidents with 13 injuries/deaths
- S. 301 at Big Bend Rd. – 332 accidents with 14 injuries/deaths
- S. 301 at SR 674 – 207 accidents with 17 serious injuries/deaths
- Florida Ave. and E. Waters Ave. – 176 accidents with 9 injuries/deaths
- Lakewood Dr. and E. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. – 113 accidents with 10 injuries/deaths
- Fishhawk Blvd. and Boyette Rd. – 104 accidents with 10 injuries/deaths
- Big Bend Rd. at Summerfield Blvd. – 97 accidents with 14 injuries/deaths
- Big Bend Rd. and Summerfield Crossing Blvd. – 92 accidents with 11 injuries/deaths
- County Line Rd. and U.S. 41 – 76 accidents with 10 injuries/deaths
- Bill Tucker Rd. and U.S. 301 – 66 accidents with 9 injuries/deaths
We hope this information helps you see the high volume of traffic accidents/fatalities within the county so that you can make sure you are alert and attentive when behind the wheel. If you have bee involved in a serious intersection collision in the area that was caused by a negligent or careless driver, then we encourage you to reach out to our Tampa Car Crash Attorneys at Whittel & Melton today at 813-221-3200 or contact us online 24/7 to request a free consultation. We can review the details of your crash and help you recover financial compensation for all of your losses from the at-fault driver’s insurance company.