The number of people racing through the active crosswalk of 5th Avenue North at 25th Street North has more than just the neighborhood buzzing with complaints. It now has the attention of Real Time Traffic Expert Chuck Henson.
The crosswalk has been compared to playing a game of “Frogger,” where you press the ‘walk’ button and expect cars to stop for pedestrians, but they do not.
Due to the fact that St. Petersburg High School is located right at this intersection, the reason for concern is more than validated.
The St. Petersburg Police Department has reported that there have been 58 crashes between 21st Street and 34th Street just within the past five months. Three of these resulted in fatalities.
With so many accidents occurring at this popular crosswalk, our Tampa Pedestrian Accident Injury Lawyers at Whittel & Melton would like to offer up a few tips that can help keep everyone using the roadways safer. These simple steps only take five seconds, and could very well save a life.
- Always cross at the marked crosswalk.
- Look left and right and make sure the roadway is clear before walking, regardless of if there is a signal that says you are “OK” to walk.
- If you see a vehicle approach, make eye contact with the driver in an attempt to make sure they see you before you walk.
- Look before you walk past stopped vehicles, even if they have waved you to go ahead. You need to make sure ALL lanes are clear before proceeding.
- ALWAYS yield to pedestrians in a crosswalk and an intersection.
- Make sure you are prepared to stop at all marked crosswalks. Keep your eyes open and slow down at crosswalks.
- Look out for skateboarders, bikers, etc. as they can approach crosswalks much faster than those on foot.
- Come to a complete stop at crosswalks and intersections and make sure there are no pedestrians present before continuing on.
- Wait until pedestrians have crossed completely before you resume your travel.
- Do not pass another vehicle that is slowing down or stopping at a crosswalk.
The majority of pedestrian accidents happen when motorists fail to follow the rules of the road for whatever reason and hit those travelling by foot, bicycle, skateboard, etc. If a driver who failed to yield is the cause of your injuries or a loved one’s death, then our Tampa Pedestrian Accident Injury Lawyers at Whittel & Melton are prepared to help you take immediate action to preserve your legal rights and pursue financial compensation for the pain and suffering you have endured as a result. Call us now at 727-823-0000 or contact us online to request a free consultation to learn more about how we can help you.