A tree trimmer was in critical condition after being shocked by a power line while working Monday morning.
Clearwater Fire & Rescue identified the 38-year-old victim and confirmed he is being treated at Tampa General Hospital.
Authorities said the man was trimming trees while on a ladder on Milton Street when the incident occurred.
It happened just before 11 a.m.
Work accidents involving electric shocks can be deadly. In most cases, workers who are exposed to electricity suffer catastrophic or fatal injuries, such as severe internal injuries and heart failure or cardiac arrest. Workers who are working at dangerous heights when they come into contact with electricity often suffer other serious injuries. Once they are shocked, the worker is likely to fall to the ground, and could easily suffer severe personal injuries including spinal cord injuries, traumatic brain injuries and fractures.
Tree trimmers regularly work at heights, so they are especially at risk for being injured or killed in electric accidents. In fact, dozens of workers are injured or killed in work accidents involving contact with an overhead line every year. Tree trimmers, roof workers, and construction workers working on cranes are likely to come into contact with an electrical line.