A Tampa man was arrested and charged with DUI after a head-on traffic crash late Saturday night.
Deputies believe the 36-year-old crashed head-on into another vehicle while driving southbound in the northbound lanes on Anderson Road near Hoover Boulevard at approximately 11:15 p.m.
One person suffered minor injuries and was transported to St. Joseph’s Hospital.
The man was suspected of being under the influence and a breath test was submitted resulting in a BAC of .173/.168.
The man was arrested and charged with Driving Under the Influence (over .15) and No Valid Driver’s License.
The Tampa area has seen an unusually high number of wrong way collisions recently. Sometimes knowing what to do in these situations can be the difference between life or death. The following tips can help you and your loved ones stay safe on Tampa highways.
- Many wrong-way drivers are on the wrong-side of the road because they are intoxicated. If you have time to react, flash your lights to try and get their attention.
- Swerve to the right to help avoid a collision with a wrong-way driver. You will often see wrong-way drivers entering the freeway veering to their right side of the road, or in the fast lane because they think it is the slower traffic lane. If you veer to your right this could prevent a terrible tragedy from occurring.
- Stay alert, keep your head up, look ahead on the interstate at least a quarter of a mile so that you can give yourself time to try to see a wrong-way driver that could be coming your way.
- Most wrong way collisions result in head-on crashes and sideswipe accidents. Always wear your seatbelt, as this could keep you alive in the event an unfortunate crash cannot be prevented.
- Call the cops immediately If you see a driver going the wrong way! Try and report as many facts as you can, such as the year, make, model, location, direction, and license plate number, if possible.
If you or someone you love is injured in a car accident because of a careless wrong way driver, our Tampa Bay Auto Accident Lawyers at Whittel & Melton can help. Call us today at 727-823-0000 or contact us online for a free consultation.