A Tampa man died Monday after he was involved in a single-vehicle crash on I-275 in Pinellas County.
The crash occurred at 4:43 p.m. on northbound I-275 at mile marker 26 in Pinellas County.
According to the Florida Highway Patrol, a 20-year-old Tampa woman was driving a 2003 Chevrolet Cavalier north on I-275. She was making several lane changes when she lost control and drove onto the grass median, which caused the Cavalier to overturn several times.
A 20-year-old male passenger was taken to Bayfront Health St. Petersburg, where he died later that day from his injuries.
The woman sustained minor injuries. She was ticketed for careless driving.
It is critical to pay attention to your driving habits and patterns as well as those of the motorists around you to make sure you do not behave carelessly behind the wheel. Driving carelessly can cause serious accidents and injury to you, passengers in your vehicle and others around you.
Some of the most common examples of careless driving are:
- Texting & driving
- Drifting between lanes
- Assuming right-of-way
- Not signalling when changing lanes or turning
- Not stopping at intersections
- Failure to stop for emergency vehicle
- Improper lane change
- Making an improper turn
Defensive driving tactics are a vital part of being a cautious driver. In order to avoid driving carelessly, make sure to:
- Signal before you turn
- If changing lanes, signal then wait to make sure the other drivers see you before passing
- Come to a complete stop at all stop signs
- Do not let passengers take your attention off of the road
- Keep your hands on the wheel and your eyes on the road
- Follow the speed limit
- Avoid using electronic devices or cell phones
- Never tailgate – give the driver in front of you plenty of room
If you are involved in a crash in Pinellas County, our Tampa Bay Auto Accident Lawyers at Whittel & Melton can help you file a claim against the negligent party that caused your accident. We will fight tirelessly for the justice you deserve. Call us today at 727-823-0000 or contact us online.